Monday, August 10, 2009

The WBC Geekathon - 2009

Here are some of the games I played at the WBC this past week. I only wish I could have hung in until the end, but alas, family stuff comes first!

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - Finally got to play this - it's a fantastic game! Lots of intrigue and lots to do. I was Gaius Baltar, and started as a Cylon (Baltar is tough because he starts with 2 Loyalty cards, which makes him a suspicious target from turn 1). Game was slightly dampered by a whiner at the table who got upset when someone else threw him in the brig. Still the
rest of us had a lot of fun. Oh, and the Cylons won! YAY TOASTERS!

STOCK CAR CHAMPIONSHIP RACING CARD GAME - I saw this played last year with a giant oval track and 1/24 scale NASCAR cards. I knew I wanted to try this in 2009. I did, and was not disappointed! A great fast playing racing game. I just wish it was still in print!

KINGSBURG - A fairly typical resource management game, but enjoyed it. I managed to do fairly well, finishing 3rd out of 6.

RACE FOR THE GALAXY - Hooked up with Dave & Marco (and a 4th - sorry I forget this name). Good close game. I managed to get the Alien Robotic factory, but I think I took a little too long to get rolling.

DOMINION - played this multiple times. I really like this game. Scratches the Magic deck-building itch while not requiring me to take out a second mortgage on my house.

POWERBOATS - played this as a demo. Not bad and fast playing racing game. Nifty 3-sided dice too.

TITAN - Good old fashioned monster bashing in on Avalon Hill classic. We were assigned a 5 player game, which is not my preference as the board gets too crowded. I got stomped early and eliminated when one of my opponents stumbled on my Titan stack right after I split it. I knew I should have waited to split - ARRRGH!

FORMULA MOTOR RACING - Another simple card game of Formula One racing. Played twice - demo & tourney. Finished 3rd at my table, but our table had a ball - cheering and going crazy.

LE HAVRE - Ah, the new Euro game darling. nothing terribly new here, place a worker, get resources, build stuff, lather rinse repeat. There is a pretty wide decision tree though, and lots of resources and paths. Pretty good game, but needs a few plays to figure out the best ways to generate VPs.

KAISER'S PIRATES - Played this multiple times & scored a copy (it sold out at the con). Card game of World War I merchant boats and German raiders. Similar to Enemy in Sight. I do like this game quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment