Thursday, July 1, 2010

Giant Commie Stomping Robots - Getting Stomped

Last night, thanks to Al & a few folks from the Northern Lancaster Wargamers, I was able to participate in a playtest session of MekaTac - which is basically a Battletech mutant, simplified.



We went with a straightforward 5 vs. 5 scenario - your basic slugfest. My Rooskie Mech was a pretty big SOB - fairly mobile and well-armed. The drawback was most of the weapons were close range. VERY close range. I was going to have to get up close and personal to make any carnage.



Early on, I charged ahead to do so, but did not position myself very well. I ended up taking some early damage, after missing with a couple of missile shots against Bob's Mech which was hiding like an American coward in heavy forest.

The Americans basically hid in terrain most of the game - popping up in the air, firing, then hiding. The terrain advantage made them hard to hit & root out. One of Al's mechs exploded after a Reactor critical hit. My pilot ended up taking one in the face, splattering his innards all over the cockpit. Captain Roshon's mechs both got their legs shot off and were basically metallic paperweights with guns.



All in all, a fun time. What's not to like about giant fighting robots? I wrote up a couple of thoughts & suggestions for Al the Rules Maker as the game mechanics are still being ironed out. It's fun to see a game evolve, and I hope to get another chance sometime to do some stompin'. It's ROBOT FIGHTIN TIME!!

1 comment: